May 14, 2020 - Risk of Water Stagnation in Sturgeon Industrial Park and ProNorth Industrial Park
During the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, many businesses have been affected by low or zero occupancy and reduced water flow through the building. Under these conditions, water may stagnate, disinfection residuals decline and water temperatures change, creating environments which may support microbial and chemical risks in water systems. In Sturgeon County, Sturgeon Industrial Park and Pro North Industrial Park are most at risk. To reduce those risks and prepare for building re-entry, Alberta Health Services recommends water systems be flushed for 15-30 minutes prior to reopening.
Read the “GUIDANCE FOR FLUSHING WATER SYSTEMS” for more information.
April 29, 2020 – Community Garage and Yard Sales are Not Permitted
Sturgeon County is reminding its residents that community garage and yard sales are not permitted until provincial public health orders are relaxed or cancelled due to COVID19. Please refer to the public notice for more information.
April 20, 2020 – Redwater Sandhills Natural Area under Provincial OHV Ban
Update: The Alberta government lifted OHV Ban late Friday, April 17. This included Redwater Sandhills Natural Area, as for fires this area it remains “No Open Fires” permitted. There are no other fire bans or otherwise within Sturgeon County.
Bylaw 1476-20 Burning Bylaw
Cancelled: April 16, 2020 – Redwater Sandhills Natural Area under Provincial OHV Ban
On Tuesday, April 14, the Alberta government issued a fire ban for Alberta’s Forest Protection Area, provincial parks and protected areas and banned recreational off-highway vehicles (OHV) on Crown land in the Forest Protection Area.
Alberta Fire bans.ca/ or Alberta Parks.ca/redwater-pra/
In Sturgeon County, this ban applies to the use of OHV in the Redwater Sandhills Natural Area. This area is currently signed prohibiting open fires year-round and will have OHV Ban signage posted by Provincial authorities.
Residents are encouraged to continue responsible burning practices. Conditions throughout the County relating to fire hazards are being monitored and if required, restrictions or bans will be implemented and communicated at sturgeoncounty.ca on social media. Fire permits are available online at sturgeonservices.ca
April 3, 2020 – Alexander First Nation Road Closure
In keeping with a number of public measures to protect communities from COVID-19, Alexander First Nation (AFN) has temporarily limited access to their Nation.
- Sturgeon County residents should note that road closures and checkpoints may impact their normal travel patterns.
- These changes are part of the State of Emergency declaration issued by AFN Council earlier this week in order to limit the pandemic risk to Nation residents.
- At this time, no outside visitors are permitted to enter the Nation.
- Access to affected roads is being monitored and all travellers will be detoured unless they are AFN residents.
- While we recognize that these temporary changes may be inconvenient for some, the continued health and well-being of all of our Sturgeon County residents is the utmost priority.
- Sturgeon County appreciates your patience and compliance with these temporary new travel conditions within our region and will provide further updates on any changes.
Sturgeon County Public Buildings Closure Notice
Sturgeon County, Alberta – As Sturgeon County continues to navigate the dynamic and changing landscape related to the global COVID19 pandemic, we remain committed to the delivery of essential services while ensuring the health and safety of our residents and staff. In an effort to do this, the following changes are in effect immediately:
- The following County buildings will be closed to the public until further notice. For those who require emergency service or time sensitive business, please call 780-939-4321 or Toll Free 1-866-939-9303 to book an appointment.
- Sturgeon County Centre
- Agriculture Services Trailer
- Community Services Office & Sturgeon West
- Fleet & Building Services o Protective Services Headquarters
- Sturgeon South
- All Sturgeon County Fire Stations will be closed to the public; however, fire response levels will remain the same.
- All scheduled Council and Committee of the Whole meetings are cancelled until the end of March, at which time we will make a decision on whether public meetings can resume or if cancellations will be extended.
- Family & Community Support Services is available to residents who require assistance. Call 780 939-8332 or 780-722-1479 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. for information and available supports.
- Development Support Services will still receive applications (development permits; all safety code permits; subdivisions; amendments, compliance certificate requests, etc.) via Email, Fax, mail or the Sturgeon County Centre drop-box. For any other inquiries contact us via email or phone.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: 780 939-8275 | Fax: 780 939-2076
- Assessment Services staff is available by email email@example.com or call 780-939-0601 for any inquiries.
We will be posting local community changes and updates as necessary under our dedicated COVID19 webpage on our website, as well as all our social media pages (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
During this unprecedented and difficult time, the health and safety of our residents and staff remain a priority. County staff have been asked to work from home where possible and to avoid in-person meetings.All business related travel including offsite meetings, courses and conferences have been cancelled in accordance to the guidelines to AHS guidelines. We strongly encourage our residents to follow suit where appropriate.
If you have health related questions or concerns about COVID19, call Health Link 811 or your healthcare provider. All Albertans are encourage to rely on Alberta Health Services for the latest information, guidance and resources.